Ekiti Assembly sacks workers as Labour protest

Ekiti State House of Assembly Service Commission has sacked 21 members of its staff for sundry offences including irregular absenteeism, appointment and other allegations that contravened the condition of service.

The Chairman of the Commission, Hon Taiwo Olatunbosun stated this in a statement on Tuesday in Ado-Ekiti.

Olatunbosun said the decision was taken in compliance with the report of staff audit undertaken as part of the efforts to reorganize the commission for effective service delivery.

He added that the audit, which started last year on assumption of office of the present Commission members engaged the services of Auditors over complaints, agitations and petitions from members of staff on allegations of absenteeism, arbitrary promotion and placement of officers above colleagues without regards to scheme of service.

“The audit which discovered some irregularities ranging from hiding, alteration and mutilation of files, advancement of staffs without due process, appointees illegally retained in the system after expiration of tenure, arbitrary transfer of service without cognate experience, overage staff members, irregular appointments/promotion of staff without approval, cases of forgeries, arbitrary placement of officers with utter disregard to scheme of service, etc

“The outcome of the report has since been discussed with the management staff of the Commission and the leadership of the state chapter of the Parliamentary Staff Association of Nigeria (PASAN).

“The Commission wishes to stress that the routine staff audit was carried out in good faith without any intention of vendetta, witch-hunt or victimization against anyone.

“It is equally important to note that the exercise will assist the Commission to restructure, reposition and bridge the generational gap in the establishment”.

Consequently, the 21 workers dismissed protested against the State House of Assembly over their “unjust dismissal” from the service of the House.

The protest, led by labour leaders, was held within the premises of the assembly complex, where they chanted series of derisive songs to castigate the Ekiti State Assembly Service Commission over the action.

The Secretary of the Ekiti State Joint Negotiating Council, Com. Gbenga Olowoyo, while addressing the dismissed workers said it was wrong for the Commission to have speedily sent the names of the affected workers to Accountant General to stop their salaries, while negotiation lasted.

He said: “We are here to express our rejection of the summary dismissal of these 21 staff of the House of Assembly. Though the Commission denied ever sacking anyone, which was not true.

“We learnt from good authority that they have forwarded their names to the Accountant General to stop their salaries while also denied access to the assembly complex despite being employed and put on the payroll for 10 years.

“We are not saying the Commission can Audit its staff, but it has to be with human face. We are going to fight to the end. We are not afraid of victimisation. All the workers in the civil service will join them in solidarity. We are building careers here and we won’t allow any politician to destroy us”.

Also Speaking, Com. Lawrence Kuloogun, the Secretary of Trade Union Congress (TUC), and the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) secretary, Com. Taiwo Akinyemi, said the sacking of those workers was not only inhuman, but embarrassing to the workforce.

They said: “This is an injustice, harassment and embarrassment of our workers. In Ekiti State University, we buried scores of our workers. The same happened at the Ekiti State University Teaching Hospital. This was because of sack, but here in the assembly, we are not ready to bury anybody.

“The Commission must reverse to status quo. They should not distribute any letter anymore and they must retrieve the ones already served for our workers to live good and worthy lives.”

Oluwashina Odebode

Social Media Influencer || Blogger & Content Developer.

Drop Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Next Post

Just In: Schools’ resumption date remains January 18 – PTF

Tue Jan 12 , 2021
Pin it Schools across the nation will resume on January 18 except the Ministry of Education announces otherwise, the Federal Government stated on Tuesday. National Coordinator of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, Dr Sani Aliyu, said this during a television programme. Aliyu said: “As regards schools, I just want […]
%d bloggers like this: