#EndSARS: Sam Adeyemi, Burna Boy, Don Jazzy, Davido, Wizkid, others sued for unlawful protest

An activist named Kenechukwu Okeke has sued a number of Nigerians for their involvement in the #EndSARS peaceful protest against police brutality in the country.

Okeke in a suit filed at the Magistrate Court, Abuja, listed 38 Nigerians including the senior pastor of Daystar Church Sam Adeyemi, Burna Boy, Don Jazzy, Tuface Idibia, Wizkid, Davido, Aisha Yesufu, Peter and Paul Okoye, Kiki Mordi, Banky W, Joe Abah and others as defendants.

He said the defendants through their Twitter platforms “did conspire to commit misdemeanour, to wit, promoting or acting in such a manner to assist in the promotion of unlawful assembly under the guise or composition of #EndSARS.”

Okeke also claimed that the defendants “committed an offence punishable under Section 97 (2) of the Penal Code Act, C53 of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 2004.”

The claimant said the protest was aimed to “cause persons in the Federal Capital Territory to fear on reasonable grounds that such assembly needlessly and without reasonable occasion may provoke other persons tumultuously to disturb peace.”

He said his properties were “egregiously destroyed by some riotous and tumultuous persons instigated by the defendants.”

The claimant stated that he has comoutet-based evidences and facts, pointing to the culpability of the defendants in the #EndSARS protest he described as an ‘unlawful assembly’.

Okeke’s suit is coming weeks after a former presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Adamu Garba filed a suit at the federal high court, seeking to ban the use of Twitter in Nigeria and some sum should be paid as compensation.

Adamu claimed that #EndSARS protesters used Twitter to galvanize themselves in an undemocratic manner to oust President Muhammadu Buhari from office.

The suits, Nigerians believe, are being filed by government proxies to further stifle their rights to freedom of expression after the two-week nationwide protest.

Last week, an association of governors from Nigeria’s northern region held an emergency meeting where they said censorship of social media was one of the most critical subjects of their deliberation.

The governors forum said social media is being used to threaten national security and urged the Federal level to censor social media in the country, saying the ‘oneness of Nigeria is a non-negotiable’.

Oluwashina Odebode

Social Media Influencer || Blogger & Content Developer.

Drop Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Next Post

5G consultation ongoing says NCC

Tue Nov 10 , 2020
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has published the Draft Consultation Document on the deployment of fifth-generation (5G) Mobile Technology in Nigeria. NCC Director, Public Affairs, Dr Ikechukwu Adinde, said this in a statement on Tuesday in Abuja. Adinde said that the Draft Consultation Document for the deployment of the 5G […]
%d bloggers like this: