Gunmen stormed Kabul University ahead of the opening of a book fair on Monday 2 November, in what looked like an attack against literacy and free speech, killing at least 19 people and wounding more than a dozen others.
Though reason for the attack is still unknown, but it is believed that the gunmen struck because government officials were expected at the event.
Video footage released showed students scurrying away from the university, while some find other means to escape, as heavy gunfire sound rent the air.
The deputy spokeswoman for the health ministry, Masooma Jafari, told AFP four people had been rushed to hospital.
Tariq Arian, Afghanistan Interior Ministry spokesman said several unknown gunmen had entered the campus, sending students fleeing.
Security forces, which included Afghanistan forces and US troops, had blocked the campus and fired back at the gunmen who had spread quickly across campus, firing their weapons and detonating explosives.
“We don’t know whether we are dealing with a coordinated attack or something else,” Arian said.
The Taliban has denied being involve in the attack, the development is not strange as Afghan education centres have been targeted by militants in recent years.
About 24 people were killed last month when the Islamic State Group attacked a tuition centre in Kabul.
The group also claimed responsibility for an attack in front of the university in which dozens were killed in 2018.
Join Our Telegram Channel below;